Robert L. Ferguson, Jr.
Mr. Ferguson is the firm’s President and one of its founding principals. Since beginning his practice in 1972, Mr. Ferguson’s practice has focused on civil litigation, including construction law, insurance coverage, insurance defense, aviation law, maritime law, transportation law, products liability and professional liability defense.
As an active member of the Bar Association of Baltimore City, Mr. Ferguson has held numerous positions with the Executive Council. He is a past President of the Bar Association of Baltimore City (1998-1999). He served as a member of the Russell Committee (1990-92), reporting on the drug crisis and the underfunding of the courts in Baltimore City. Mr. Ferguson chaired the Bar Association of Baltimore City Committee to form the Baltimore Coalition Against Substance Abuse.
Mr. Ferguson’s extensive trial experience and professionalism have earned him respect and recognition from other lawyers in the community. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. In 1995, Mr. Ferguson was the recipient of The Maryland Bar Foundation Special Outstanding Achievement Award for Professional Legal Excellence. He has achieved an AV rating from Martindale Hubble. He has also served as a Maryland Institute Continuing Professional Education for Lawyers (MICPEL) instructor in Trial Advocacy, Discovery Practice and Motions Practice. He co-authored the Maryland Discovery Guidelines.
Mr. Ferguson has also been active in the Litigation Section of the Maryland State Bar Association and served as its Chairman in 1990. He also served as Chairman of the Pleadings, Motions and Discovery subcommittee, and co-chaired the committee which drafted The Maryland Discovery Guidelines. He has been a member of the Litigation Section Council since 1986.
- Attorney Grievance Commission, Inquiry Panel (1998 – 2001)
- Court of Appeals Committees: Character Committee for the Sixth Appellate Circuit (1987 – present, Chairman 2014 to present); Committee on Court Reporting (Chairman 1991)
- Governor’s Council on Criminal and Juvenile Justice (1995)
- Mediator, Circuit Court for Baltimore City
- Governor’s Trial Courts Judicial Nominating Commission for the Fourteenth Judicial District, Baltimore City (1999 – present)
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates, Representing the Bar Association of Baltimore City (2000-2002)
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Maryland State Committee (September 2010 – Present)
Awards and Honors:
- Maryland Bar Foundation, 1995 Special Outstanding Achievement Award for Professional Legal Excellence
- Governor’s Citation, 1996 for service on the Governor’s Council for Criminal and Juvenile Justice
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Bar Association of Baltimore City Charles H. Dorsey, Jr. Mentor Award, November 20, 2007
- The Daily Record 2016 Leadership in Law award
- Super Lawyers 2007-Present
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Maryland Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Member, ADR Services of Maryland
- Discovery Under the Maryland Rules (Co-Author) (MICPEL): Section on Discovery Motions, Sanctions and Protective Orders
- Maryland Discovery Guidelines (Co-Author)
- Ferguson, Robert L. and Ebersole, Jodi K., Discovery of Defendant’s Financial Condition in Cases Claiming Punitive Damages, 21.2 Maryland Law Forum 3(1991)
- Ferguson, Robert L. and Heffernan, Christopher, J., Insurance Requirements Under the AIA Documents, American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Section, Insurance Coverage for Defective Construction Claims.
- University of Maryland School of Law, Juris Doctor, awarded 1972, with honors
- University of Maryland, Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, awarded in 1968
- District of Columbia
- Third, Fourth and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Baltimore City Drug Treatment Court Committee (Co-Chair 1992 – 2000)
- Baltimore Coalition Against Substance Abuse (President, 1991-1996)
- Baltimore Prevention Coalition (Co-Chair 1994 – 1996)
- The Baltimore Bar Foundation Trustee (1996 – present)
- The Bar Insurance Trust Trustee (1999 – present)
- Fellow, Baltimore Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Maryland State Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation